Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I'm A Self Help Junkie: When Is Enough Enough?

I confess. I'm a self help junkie. Check out this stack of library books beside my recliner. Most are on dieting, some on hypothyroidism, some on improving our minds, our bodies. Please notice The Living Bible is on the very top, as it should be. But when is enough information enough? Why I could literally write my own book on the subject of weight loss. I know the basic information and have lost weight in the past, I just have a problem applying the vast knowledge to my daily living.

I liken this broad selection of self help books to trying to pick out wallpaper. How many books must one look through to decide on one wall paper pattern for a tiny powder room? Do we peruse every wall paper book available until we magically determine the ONE? Or should we use sound judgement and look at only 10 or 20 books and make our decision from those?

Please know I did not read all of these books. I browsed them and gleaned something from each one. But what good is it if I don't apply the knowledge and information I obtained? If knowledge is power, then lots of knowledge means lots of power, right? It's not that simple. I must take what I know now is true and apply it to my daily living. "Now" is the operative word. So, enough is enough! Enough said! Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I'm very much like you with the books I collect (I had my library card taken away years ago for being delinquent with returning books). I mostly like books on a healthy mind and body. I do tend to read the whole book but retain very little. Have you ever checked out the website Mind/Body/Green? It's simply short articles on all sorts of subjects and I think you would like it.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read tons of books on health issues and weight loss. It is a constant battle to do what I know is the right thing to do. In this case I truly believe that knowledge is power.
    However, when it comes to decorating I tend to keep it simple. I've noticed through the years, that I most often will buy the first choice I made. This has happened a lot. I try not to overthink it and I don't watch so many decorating shows anymore. They drive me crazy with this and that trend! I stick to what I like in our home and what makes me feel good.
    Have a great day
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  3. After you read The Thriving Woman's Guide to Setting Boundaries by Kim Buck! That's when it's enough! I have so many self help books on my shelves, but Buck's has been the best. Her site for it is areyouwillingtobeseen.com. I tell you as a mom that gets tow wits end daily, it's been a real look at how easy it can be to say no! Worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki,

    So true! It's like we read all that and then we forget it. :)

    Love the background on your blog!

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete