Monday, March 23, 2015

The Journey Continues: Finding Your "Want To"

Hello everyone and thank you so much for stopping by. I apologize my blog is somewhat lacking in eye appeal as I just began posting regularly. I promise to dress it up a bit with some photos and other information relative to my posts. I need to sit down with someone who can help me figure this tech stuff out.

Yesterday I shared a little about my personal life and how I developed a poor self image. That was then and this is now! So how do I go from here as a much older and wiser woman, and learn to love myself as I am?

I turn to resources such as this book by Lysa Terkeurst titled Made to Crave. She is President of Proverbs 31 Ministries and I love her writing. The subtitle of this book is "Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, not Food". If you're like me, you could write your own "how to lose weight" book. At this stage of life I've tried numerous plans, some worked, some didn't. But basically any plan that reduces calorie intake will work for a while if I'll just work the plan! Here's a passage from page 11 of the book.

It's not the "how to" I'm missing. It's the "want to"...really wanting to make changes and deciding that the results of those changes are worth the sacrifice.

Yes!!! I know HOW! What I wrestle with is veering from WHY I want to lose weight. My recent experiences have revealed that I must want to lose weight for reasons greater than just improving my looks or for myself. So I've made a list of my WHY's.

My health. My health affects so many areas of my life. If I am unable to take the stairs or get up off the floor, how can I feel confident physically caring for my grand babies, ages 4, 2, and 1? Not to mention providing a stable grip for my 83 year old mother when we are out and about. It's not about me!

My marriage. Well, I confess! I do not feel sexy at all weighing 200+ pounds! So how can I relate to my husband in a healthy sexual way when I "feel" like I look like an NFL player but without the muscle and the paycheck? Really!

My social life. Yes, being overweight inhibits me pursuing certain things. I'm less likely to dance at an upcoming wedding because of fear of how I'll look. I'm less likely to attend an event for fear of not being dressed appropriately. I'll admit I scope out the room and often determine I'm the oldest and the largest woman present. How shallow is that? I know, but that's just me.

My ministry. I've been a committed member of our church for 27 years! I've "grown" as it's grown! LOL! Seriously, I am the Welcome Center Director and love greeting visitors and introducing them to my church, to God! But...when I have weighed more than normal, up about 5-10 pounds, my self image is so dreadful, I can hardly force myself to show up with a welcoming joyful spirit!

These are my WHY's. They are huge motivators and I keep them written down in my Food Diary. What are your WHY's? How are you staying focused on your WHY's? Thanks for listening! God bless you on your own personal journey to reach a healthy weight! It's all about optimal health!
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment